Our first try at the Riso with the collage bit went okay but there wasn’t much control over the whole process as we simply plonked the images on there. So we decided to re- do the layout by cutting the images out and sticking them down on a paper that was the right size of the the magazine. Some images also needed a bit of cleaning up and bettering the contrast and blackness because they didn’t come out good enough on the Riso.
Layout process and outcome
We also did some experiments with layering of the cover, duplicating the coloured bit of 7NT which turned out really nice! Makes it more analogue and Riso-y.
Also, cutting the paper to the right size before Riso printing is definitely the right way to do it I noticed. It’s extremely difficult to get it right after printing plus the ink smudges everywhere, whereas when you print it on ready cut paper it might be a bit off sometimes but it’s kind of nice and charming and part of the process.
Designing the layout for the final outcome took way longer than what I thought it would hah! I just couldn’t make up my mind because every time I printed it I found things I didn’t like about it. It is so different to see a thing on screen versus when it’s printed and you actually hold it in your hands, it changes its appearance so much. Anyways- I started out using the colours silver and gold a lot but pretty quickly realised it wouldn’t look good printed and scratched that idea. Then I moved on to adding red as I thought that would be good representation of the monotone in the movement. I kept the red in there for a long time but altered other things about the layout so it wouldn’t look too boxy and kept some images overlapping the folds so it flowed better and represented the movement more. Here are all my tries!
First try, gold and silver and red
Choosing, creating and placing my content for the collection book is nearly done. This has been extremely time consuming but in the end very satisfying to see your own processes and outcomes in such a straightforward way. I have had to re-take images that were of too bad quality, scan research from my sketchbooks, draw new images and scan and edit those, create images directly in InDesign and of course write all the paragraphs that go with each project to explain it. Phew.
Having only a few pages left to design, I decided to print out a mockup to see how the flow of the book will work as that’s hard to do on the computer screen. Making a mini mockup proved very helpful as I can see now that it is put together which images are too big or small and some of the images that I was unsure if I should have, I am now positive have to go.
I also decided to keep the text to a minimum and only have short paragraphs so that the images are the real stars of the book and it resembles a portfolio more.
For my abstract wave approach I started making some test videos to see how I could go about this. After several tries and experimenting in After Effects but not getting the result I wanted I felt a bit frustrated as I thought I could never get this to be what I wanted it to be. It either looked too light and flimsy or not regular enough but I got there eventually with the help of a tutorial that taught me how to transform sound into an abstract pattern that reacts to the wavelengths of the sound.
Wave experiments, by Lisa
When researching videos of Calder and his mobiles I always seem to end up watching the same one where a boy walks into Calder’s workshop and is amazed by everything that moves by its own. (video here) He stares at the mobiles hanging from the ceiling, living their own sort of life of there, creating their own universe. He looks at this play for a long time, eventually finding it hard to differ between dream and reality as he is more and more mesmerised by them. Every time I watch this I want to make mobiles.
Last time I thought about this project I was really into doing a stop motion animation. Today I ended up giving the mobiles another go and made another one.