So my posters needed to go in something but I think buying a ready made box is not very me so I decided to make one myself. Bought red card and made a design loosely based on an archive box I already have and it turned out pretty well! A lot of measuring involved here and I’ll admit it sliiiightlyyy uneven in the spine but overall looks very neat. After testing it out, opening and closing it a few times I thought it might be too flimsy so I covered a piece of thicker card that I got from the printers after printing my portfolio posters in the red leftover card bits I had (thank god I bought 2 sheets) and glued it to the front and back and now it feels more stable.
Going back to my physical portfolio, I thought maybe the poster idea with a red poster combined with coloured smaller images on the back of it might not work. I wanted the printed portfolio to match the online one but it just felt too scattered. I wanted it to be more coherent, and a thing you could pick up and flip through. SO I thought I could make a book that was completely red but with coloured posters stuck inseide that you could take out.
My portfolio site is finally done. After fussing about with the background colour, changing it back and forth from red to white for a long while, I decided to go with red anyways as it makes the most impact. Some images definitely looks better with a white background but overall I think the red ties it together so that’s how I am leaving it.
Portfolio homepage, Lisa 2018
Besides the online portfolio, there also needs to be a physical one which I at first thought I could make by simply printing off images of my work and put in a box that I could make myself. After a tutorial though, I realised it would be more fun to do something different as a physical portfolio can basically be whatever you want it to be as long as it shows your work.
First gifs done, I did an experiment with some coloured pencil shavings I stuck in my sketchbook the other week when brainstorming connections to “child” thinking about how children always create stuff and the mess they leave behind. I thought it would be funny to make the shavings move and made one where a bit of it rotates but finishing that I just felt like it didn’t move too much and the image as a whole was too static so I made another one that’s more twitchy and communicates better with the paper one I made just before.
Pencil shavings gif 1 and 2, Lisa 2017
It kind of looks like someone is moving the shavings around on a light box and I think it looks really nice: like someone fiddling with something.
Final one I managed to do today is another thread one. For this I pulled apart the yarn I had to create thinner strands of thread, mixed two colours and spun them around on a coloured piece of paper, scanning it as I went along. This gif is like a combination of all my words with the thread that I have been using for “old, the paper for “may” and the moving around for “child”. Twitchy and changing ripples basically. Wrinkles on a worried forehead, sound waves of a child screaming and the connections and intertwines of something old.
Wobbly gif, Lisa 2017
Five gifs done so four left now! I think it’s starting to come together.
Back to the cover! After some feedback from Tom telling us the cover doesn’t read well and that it feels too composed and digital, I got back to thinking about it and decided to start over with the whole composition. I scanned the ink letters I had and printed them out in different sizes, cut them out and started to compose some designs on a piece of paper in front of me, taking photos as I went along. I tried some organised layouts, some messy, and them started cutting up the letters or gluing them down to a piece of paper and them crumbling them up. I tried to make something happen. But it wasn’t happening. I wanted it to look like the messiness of a cover of Emigre magazine but everything I did just looked boring. I began to realise that the whole process was starting to feel like a huge weight in my brain, it wasn’t fun anymore, I don’t like the name anymore and I don’t like the typeface.
After meeting my client last week, I now know more about the bench and how it came to be, the designers he was inspired by when making it and the choices behind the materials:
- Can transport easily
- Minimal use of material
- Low skill production process makes it easy to produce
- The incorporation of oak makes it feel traditional
- Slim design
- Looks expensive but cheap to produce
- Surface board can change size
- Scandinavian feel
- Made for commercial spaces rather than homes
- Can be taken apart and packaged flat
More gifs! This one is based on an image made by me and Oliver taking turns to draw on a long sheet of paper, creating an abstract cityscape.
Final cover proved not to be my final cover. Realising it looked too camera film-y I did some sketches of alternative ideas and ended up with using the sketch where I drew the pattern I had and made it into vector art that I then coloured in red and laid type over it.
Sketches for cover, by Lisa
This is the result and I finally like it 100 percent:
My cover is finally finalised although the way there was long. Jumping from the red outcome to yellow papercraft I did when experimenting with one of my projects, I still wasn’t happy with the look and started instead to play around with type on the photocopier. The type didn’t turn out interesting at all but the strange marks that appeared at the edge of the paper looked good so I created a design with them instead.
Cover development 1, 2, and 3, by Lisa
Copying and rotating the image I created a sort of pattern that looks like arrows and kind of like a fast forward button. And that felt like it fit the book finally and it also felt like me with the triangles, movement and a bit artsy so I’m happy with this.