Work Placement: Outcome 4

Design competition, Work Placement

After my failed attempt at stapling the magazine, I stitched the upper bit together where I already had the holes, which didn’t look amazing but worked okay. After doing that I tried stapling the bottom bit, I thought even if it would fail, I needed the holes for stitching so nothing to loose here, and all of a sudden it worked! No idea why, maybe the magazine had become flatter in the few hours in between testing or something. Anyways, it held together so I took the thread out of the upper bit and stapled that too.

Advertisements

Summer Show: Further Development 3

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Our first idea for the catalogue for the summer show was to make it into a zine thing from the poster so I made a more proper mockup of this using the actual poster. Did not like this thing at all to be honest as it looked too boring and I didn’t like folding the poster up because it felt like it ruined it a bit.

Portfolio Project: Development 2

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Having good, high quality photographs of your projects I think is probably more important the the layout and design of your portfolio. Photographing your work lets you put it into context and show it off from its best side and I think looks way better than mocking something up digitally because that is so easy to do. Putting together my portfolio I realised that I didn’t have any nice images of my projects (because I don’t like the hassle of setting up the photostudio and taking time to photograph something well) so this became first priority. 

Match and Mismatch: Outcome 2

Match and Mismatch, Studio- Give and Take

Poster publication! I struggled with this one. Foldy things aren’t generally a favourite, and the need for it to be so smart I think puts so much pressure on the design that I found it difficult to make up my mind about how I wanted it to look. One thing that definitely needed to be included was the extension of the bench and playing with the folds to show that in a fun way. I wanted to make something that folded like, a crazy amount of times to exaggerate it but when I thought about how that would work when stacking the publications, it wouldn’t work. I didn’t want it to have too much volume, plus I found the restriction of the A3 size that the poster had to be + a lot of folds = not great as the publication would look smaller than I wanted it to. It needed to have some weight to it, the publication needed to feel robust, like the bench. Making it small and/or like it was apologizing for itself would feel wrong and not representative of the bench.

Summer Show: Outcome 1

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

The publication took a long time to figure out what to do with as none of the ideas felt right. Initially, Finn came up with an A5 format and we discussed different binding ideas such as using split pins and tape and printing ideas included screenprint and digital.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 12.04.39 PM

Publication idea, Finn Kidd 2017