The publication took a long time to figure out what to do with as none of the ideas felt right. Initially, Finn came up with an A5 format and we discussed different binding ideas such as using split pins and tape and printing ideas included screenprint and digital.
Publication idea, Finn Kidd 2017
After Finn designed our posters, we went to screen print them to try out using split fountain technique. The first designs we did were ones where the type itself was coloured in, on either white paper or coloured paper. They looked really nice but the small information type wasn’t really visible especially when the yellow ink covered it. Posters seen here. So I decided to redo them, testing out filling the background with ink and leaving the type white and that came out better because you could read it better and see the imperfections of the tape helvetica better. Plus, you know colour. Yay! Seen below are three of the outcomes from my printing, two having some quirks and imperfections because of the printing process, and the last one being just perfect. Together they look really nice!
I thought the printing process would be pretty straightforward, I had my paper and my pdf and my print credits. But printing proved to be difficult. First try came on landscape on a portrait oriented sheet of paper, second one came out with the poster on the back the wrong way round, which I didn’t notice until I started to fold my A2 down to A5 and fold up the flap on the first page that reveals the introduction text to the zero movement underneath (a feature I added to make the design more dynamic and again make it more dramatic with a “reveal” kind of) and the text wasn’t there. Sigh. A shame because the registration for the front and back images was almost perfect. Third try came out the way it should (after I rotated the back poster in ID cause I thought that might fix the previous problem, but now I’m not sure that was the actual problem. Maybe that could have been solved by rotating it in the print preview or rotating the paper. hmm…) but the problem now was that the registration between front and back was off by one cm. So a lot. Way annoying.
Pager from both sides, by Lisa
So the cover is now sporting a vertical white line that is not supposed to be there and the letterpress image sits a bit too tight to the folded up flap on page one. But I am going to leave it like this because everything else is how I wanted it to be and I cannot afford to print it again. I don’t love it, but I like it! But I almost think it looks better as a flat poster than folded up because it just makes so much sense now. And the Zero movement kind of didn’t and the design seen laying flat as an A2 is almost more representative of that. The kinetic type poster though I think looks great.
Front and back cover, by Lisa
Designing the layout for the final outcome took way longer than what I thought it would hah! I just couldn’t make up my mind because every time I printed it I found things I didn’t like about it. It is so different to see a thing on screen versus when it’s printed and you actually hold it in your hands, it changes its appearance so much. Anyways- I started out using the colours silver and gold a lot but pretty quickly realised it wouldn’t look good printed and scratched that idea. Then I moved on to adding red as I thought that would be good representation of the monotone in the movement. I kept the red in there for a long time but altered other things about the layout so it wouldn’t look too boxy and kept some images overlapping the folds so it flowed better and represented the movement more. Here are all my tries!
First try, gold and silver and red
So my initial designs for the book were super boring. Everything I created looked dead and like it would be better off thrown in the bin. I started out making a book I thought I could get printed with Blurb where the minimum to print is 20 pages, but realised I cannot fill 20 pages for this project so I decided to make my own A5 booklet instead. That design came out just as awful- it didn’t look remotely thought through and just all in all very un inspiring as seen below:
First and second book design, by Lisa
So after getting some help and feedback from a friend about what I could do to change this, I decided on making a concertina A4 thing instead and when I started designing that, everything just fell into place. It was instantly more fun to design and I could play with the format more, making it fit my app better as well.
This is in A1 size so it makes to folded A4 books which I then could make a cover to as well to make it more stable and so it s able to stand up. The only thing that concerns me a bit is if I have enough information on here but I think I ticked the most important boxes anyways so off to print!
So I developed my bathtub idea further thinking about involving illustration and giving the campaign a very airy feel. Putting together this moodboard:
And picking up on some things in that I made a print of a bathtub that I thought I could use as seen below left.
The book Alexander Calder and His Magical Mobiles is a really pleasant read and full of quotes that I might use for my video. I haven’t given the text that much thought but I don’t want it to be too formal with only information so stealing some quotes from this book might be a good way to go. I’ve also looked into more of his style of painting and think I can use that as well for my project. Initially I wanted to write things out with wire to represent his wire sculptures but I think I’ve changed my mind- I want more colour.
Really like this print (to the right) and how much it feels like Calder. Using that somehow!