FMP: Outcome 3

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

When coming up with this idea, my plan was to not only knit, but put other elements in the design as well like reflective thread and glow in the dark ink. I did some tests with glow in the dark ink on my yarn but as it would only be visible on white wool, and the poster I would like to have it in has veeery little white wool in it, I kind of don’t see the point much. Plus, it was really tricky to put on and well, I don’t think it added a lot. The reflective thread I’ve had a couple of goes with but didn’t really love any of my experiments. I decided to incorporate it by sewing it on by hand in just small bits on the grey one but then I thought I could actually use it for all of the posters. Although trying it out on the pink one I realised I didn’t like it at all.

Advertisements

FMP: Outcome 1

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

First and second poster done! After spending 2+ weeks on the pink one, I finished the second one in just a week. This was because the knitting went faster with the bamboo needles as they are smoother than the metal ones so it’s easier to push the work on it (you don’t stop all the time). I also did it faster because I felt a bit stressed about the whole project actually as I still am unsure of how to mount it to make it look its best. Knitting faster however was not great on my wrists, fingers and shoulders and towards the end I had to wear knitting armor to be able to finish it (bandage on wrists, tape on fingers, heat patch on neck and pillow under my right elbow). Taking a break from knitting now which should be fine time wise.

Summer Show: Further Development 3

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Our first idea for the catalogue for the summer show was to make it into a zine thing from the poster so I made a more proper mockup of this using the actual poster. Did not like this thing at all to be honest as it looked too boring and I didn’t like folding the poster up because it felt like it ruined it a bit.

FMP: Development 3

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

The biggest struggle I have had when knitting is the fact that once you have made your loops, it’s done. It’s there. The design is in the piece and there is basically no way of changing it. When I usually design something I can fiddle about with it for the longest time but now I have to make decisions and stick with them. Not used to that! So moving on to the second poster I made way more sketches for the design than I did for the first one as I was making it.

sketch2

Alterations to the design, Lisa 2018

Summer Show: Development 4

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

After Finn designed our posters, we went to screen print them to try out using split fountain technique. The first designs we did were ones where the type itself was coloured in, on either white paper or coloured paper. They looked really nice but the small information type wasn’t really visible especially when the yellow ink covered it. Posters seen here. So I decided to redo them, testing out filling the background with ink and leaving the type white and that came out better because you could read it better and see the imperfections of the tape helvetica better. Plus, you know colour. Yay! Seen below are three of the outcomes from my printing, two having some quirks and imperfections because of the printing process, and the last one being just perfect. Together they look really nice! 

Map of me: Research 1

Dialogue Studio, Map of me

I have struggled long and hard in figuring out what I want to do for my app that need to be a form of map. I have been stuck the longest time of the functions of the app, what I want the app to do, how you navigate etc. I try to work it all out in my head before I come to a definite decision but not knowing my outcome has come in the way of knowing anything at all in terms of what I want.

A couple of weeks ago I sat down trying to map what a map is and see if I through that could get some inspiration. I couldn’t. Today, I sat down again and tried the approach of instead deciding what mediums I want to work with, my topic, my colours- and could finally come to some decisions! 

Collection of lines completed

Project 2, Projects

My line project is finished and it took a 180 turn! I tried to develop a snake fold thing that would have my images of lines folding out in the order I would see them on my way to uni from home but the craftsmanship of it all wouldn’t come together. It looked sloppy, unfinished and very much not what I was going for. So I ended up with boxes which I kind of touched upon in my brainstorming for this project but discarded. Here is the process!