The concept I will be developing is my first one which focuses on manipulating the bench in shape and has a more darker and experimental feel. I made a lot of collages, cutting the bench up and stacking the benches on top of each other thinking primarily of the postcard series and how I could make an image and then cut it into 4, making the postcards go together as a whole instead of 4 individual designs. Nothing really worked out though and after a riso workshop (seen below) I realised why. With the bench in that small size, it just looked too dainty and cutes-y and that doesn’t fit my concept at all.
Riso prints, Lisa 2018
My third concept is more about how you use the bench. Different ways you could sit on it, stand on it, lie down on it. I thought about how Charles and Ray Eames had a very playful relationship to their furniture pieces when photographing them and wanted to do something similar for this.
Concept 3, Lisa 2017
For the workshop next week that’s going to be spent in the darkroom, I have been looking into photograms and what you can do with that technique. Man Ray is very much a favourite, his images are so varied too ranging from very abstract to very concrete with the images being very low contrast which makes them very poetic. My favourite one is definitely the hand because it looks so alien and nice!
Man Ray Photograms
After meeting my client last week, I now know more about the bench and how it came to be, the designers he was inspired by when making it and the choices behind the materials:
- Can transport easily
- Minimal use of material
- Low skill production process makes it easy to produce
- The incorporation of oak makes it feel traditional
- Slim design
- Looks expensive but cheap to produce
- Surface board can change size
- Scandinavian feel
- Made for commercial spaces rather than homes
- Can be taken apart and packaged flat
This project means working for a client and creating designs that present their work in the best way, so a bit more straight forward than the previous studio brief as this needs to feature an object and make it communicate in an appropriate way. My piece is a bench that could also function as a table and can be made longer or shorter by adjusting the length of the seat. The whole thing is made out of wood- french oak for the legs and birch ply for the seat and has a very sleek, streamline appearance.
This workshop was about collecting research and recording a place quickly through a number of different mediums such as drawing, writing, listening and photographing things and people. Fast paced and quite intense. With this collected research the objective was then to combine all the information and display it somehow visually. My group decided to go to Spitalfields market and on our way there kind of divided tasks between us (with some overlapping) which meant that when we got there we just kind of split up, wandered around and sometimes connected again to see what we had done.
Looking more into GIFs! Something I hadn’t really thought about making gifs using photography but finding artists like Francois Beaurain (below and featured image) I’ve decided it’s something I’m going to use for my gifs as well cause it’s super cool. Just can’t stop staring at it.
Ben Branagan, Inca Starzinsky and Sophie Smallhorn- 3 practitioners I discovered today and not being able to decide who to write about I decided to do all three.
Ben Branagan is a south London based artist and designer making really interesting collages using found photography or pictures he’s taken himself, cutting out and overlapping images to create a sort of surreal vibe where you are looking into several dimensions at once.
Nearly there! I now only have one spread left and then I’m sending this to print (might redo the cover though). When placing images for the Kickstarter case study and the crisp vibe they gave off (seen below) I realised I needed to re-arrange some things in my design for the rest of the book to fit this theme as I really liked it.
There is so much colour in my work otherwise that I thought having red as chapter dividers and the book’s main colour might not be a good idea. So I changed it to black instead and at once it got more cohesive which is good. Plus the patterns and type I painted feels more like Japanese calligraphy and I really like that. Thing is, now my red cover doesn’t really match anymore so I might have to think some more about that.