Final major project did not come easy to me in terms of knowing what I wanted to do. There is something very daunting about the words “final, major” and it caused a huge creative block for me. In the same way I can find it difficult to make a poster because all the pressure it has to represent so much, this was the same although now it has to represent me(?) yikes.
The first thing I started to consider when thinking about ideas for the show was how the space looks. As we already know where the exhibition will take place and the conditions we will have to work with, honestly all I could see were problems. How are we going to cover up that door, how are people going to understand how to navigate in a place where I myself have lost my way several times, can we use the ugly lockers in the narrow corridor to our advantage somehow or will they just have to stay an ugly element in the show, how can we make the dark and stuffy 2nd floor feel lighter and bigger etc.. Our exhibition space kind of bummed me down a bit but realising that it is what it is and that there is one big advantage with it (no more carrying heavy furniture to another place) I began researching ways to make the space work.
What it needs is:
- bold designs
Diving further down into my three words, I decided to explore other ways to make them visual and began playing around with stamps and letters to see where that led me.
For this, I started to write the single word first somewhere on the paper and then developing it into something else after reading the word over and over and capturing what I felt while reading it. I thought it would be good to see what associations I made after actually constructing the word myself, putting the letters down with my own hands.
Diving further into the art of the cover I made this moodboard with some designs I found inspirational. I chose these covers simply because I like them but it’s funny how much they say about me as well. This moodboard actually sums up my own aesthetics pretty well because of some of the things I like that keep re-accruing unintentionally like geometric shapes and colour or minimal designs with lots of white space. Some of the covers are almost architectural, some are only type and some are more rough (but not messy). Basically me, hah. I’ve also finally decided what size I want my book to be: 20x25cm portrait which means I can start designing it now 🙂