Posters for the gifs! Something I hadn’t really thought about at all until last week. Trying to get some ideas I started out sketching small images of different layouts I thought could work. I liked the images but couldn’t get the type right so I started experimenting with the type instead to see if I could get anywhere with that. Well, I didn’t. Thinking about movement, repetition and layering I tried drawing type, collage, cutting up type, blurring type, stitching. Didn’t like any of it. The only one I did like was the “may” in blue and yellow, however when I tried the same technique for the other words it just looked really gross.
I decided to work more on our Helvetica type before pitching our idea as I had left it a bit incomplete (when I put all the letters into the template from the website I used, the M and W were cut off) so I re-scaled all the letters, making them smaller so that the two causing problems would fit. Not super fun but when I got into robot mode the work was done pretty fast. The first time I worked on the typeface I got impatient and didn’t really care about how the letters actually worked together, but now after re-doing it I decided to look at the way the type worked when you used it. Turns out, the letter “I” was way too big in relation to the other letters (which wasn’t really noticeable before) and none of the letters were actually sitting on the same line. After fixing that, and looking at the tracking more, I was happy with what I had.
Because we had the idea of using tape as wayfinding in our group pretty early on, I tried to make a typeface out of tape to match our theme. Plus I thought it would be nice to make our own type for the show to make it more personal. First try seen below wasn’t that great. I like how the lines of the H turned out but that’s about it.
First tape attempt, Lisa 2017
Experiments with letterpress to generate some ideas that reflect my movement. Started out with the word zero and then thought about the countdown to zero as well so I incorporated numerals too. The most ideal typeface to use for this had been Futura but as that wasn’t available, the closest I could get was Gill Sans which because of the super round O works pretty well (although the fancy R annoys me somewhat).
Sketchbook, by Lisa
Then I started thinking about using the letters as shapes instead and made patterns with o and i which turned out pretty interesting. I really like the zero123 but also the red lines below and the pattern to the left of it. The countdown reflects the movement very well and the launching of a new way to look at and create art so using numbers in this way is something I could develop and refine to make it work better. Using Futura might make all the difference.
Last workshop was about type, more precisely looking at how letters are constructed and how we can manipulate them. Through drawing, painting, cutting and photocopying I spent a day immersed in creating different variations of t, y, ! and ?. Y quickly became my favorite to work with, whereas the exclamation mark didn’t inspire me at all. An intensely fun day that gave me lots of ideas on how you can work more with letters to create interesting and beautiful results. Below are some of my outcomes.
First- scanned letters (that I moved around whilst scanning) and then continued working on in Photoshop to create these images:
Type experiments by Lisa
Second- folded and cut out letters assembled in different ways, photographed and edited in Photoshop.
Type experiments by Lisa
Moving words project is officially finished. Even though stop motion is such a long process and really tests my patience, I like doing it as you can create movement that isn’t possible in real life to give things a sense of being alive. It’s just so cute.