Work Placement: Outcome 4

Design competition, Work Placement

After my failed attempt at stapling the magazine, I stitched the upper bit together where I already had the holes, which didn’t look amazing but worked okay. After doing that I tried stapling the bottom bit, I thought even if it would fail, I needed the holes for stitching so nothing to loose here, and all of a sudden it worked! No idea why, maybe the magazine had become flatter in the few hours in between testing or something. Anyways, it held together so I took the thread out of the upper bit and stapled that too.

Advertisements

Portfolio Project: Development 4

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Going back to my physical portfolio, I thought maybe the poster idea with a red poster combined with coloured smaller images on the back of it might not work. I wanted the printed portfolio to match the online one but it just felt too scattered. I wanted it to be more coherent, and a thing you could pick up and flip through. SO I thought I could make a book that was completely red but with coloured posters stuck inseide that you could take out.

Work Placement: Development 4

Design competition, Work Placement

Second interview is now on InDesign and almost done. I had been dreading this task for weeks but thought today that it would be best just to get on with it. Because Harriet had already transcribed the last interview we did, it was just a matter of placing it in InDesign and as Finn had already made paragraph styles for each type thing we might need, I don’t even know why I thought this would take long, it actually went super quick. 

Portfolio Project: Outcome 2

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Just recently, I applied for an internship for Foreign Policy Design Group but realised I didn’t have an PDF portfolio to send them so it was really time to make one. I decided on keeping it pretty simple in terms of layout, creating a template using big images combined with small type on each page with a little description of the project. Deciding which projects to include was probably the hardest part because I wanted to show variety between projects but also choose ones that would reflect my style the best. 

Portfolio Project: Outcome 1

Design competition, Portfolio Project

My portfolio site is finally done. After fussing about with the background colour, changing it back and forth from red to white for a long while, I decided to go with red anyways as it makes the most impact. Some images definitely looks better with a white background but overall I think the red ties it together so that’s how I am leaving it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 2.57.06 PM

Portfolio homepage, Lisa 2018

Work Placement: Outcome 2

Design competition, Work Placement

Our first try at the Riso with the collage bit went okay but there wasn’t much control over the whole process as we simply plonked the images on there. So we decided to re- do the layout by cutting the images out and sticking them down on a paper that was the right size of the the magazine. Some images also needed a bit of cleaning up and bettering the contrast and blackness because they didn’t come out good enough on the Riso.

Layout process and outcome

We also did some experiments with layering of the cover, duplicating the coloured bit of 7NT which turned out really nice! Makes it more analogue and Riso-y.

PhysicalMockUps_0003_Layer 0

Layout outcomes

Also, cutting the paper to the right size before Riso printing is definitely the right way to do it I noticed. It’s extremely difficult to get it right after printing plus the ink smudges everywhere, whereas when you print it on ready cut paper it might be a bit off sometimes but it’s kind of nice and charming and part of the process.

Summer Show: Further Development 1

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Continuing working on things for the summer show, one thing that needed defining was signage, or something to hang up inside or outside the studio to give some sort of information/ context to what that studio is about and who’s in it. I thought it would make sense to incorporate the hell tape type to tie it together with the poster and tried it small at first and then big but didn’t think either of the options really worked. The small type wasn’t interesting enough and the big type took over too much. 

Portfolio Project: Development 3

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Besides the online portfolio, there also needs to be a physical one which I at first thought I could make by simply printing off images of my work and put in a box that I could make myself. After a tutorial though, I realised it would be more fun to do something different as a physical portfolio can basically be whatever you want it to be as long as it shows your work. 

Portfolio Project: Development 1

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Okay so I decided not to use cargo collective for my online portfolio as I found it way too confusing. I created an account with wix to try that out and like it better as it allows you to work kind of like you would in InDesign which makes more sense to me. You can choose templates for your gallery or place images exactly where you want them. Very nice. 

Work Placement: Development 2

Design competition, Work Placement

Okay so first hand rendered type thing didn’t work like I wanted it to. So I tried another variant. Using bigger tools. So I drew some more type with a biggie 50 pen and also with ink and a bigger brush. As I learned during one of the HotHouse workshops last summer show, ink looks great Riso printed so I thought I should try that out now as well. Again, using Avenir as a base, I made these letters:

Hand rendered type, Lisa 2018