Looking into type for the show I think a good way to go about it would be to make our own typeface for it. That way it’s original, can relate to the style of the exhibition better and we don’t have to think about copyright stuff. Incorporating cardboard and gaffa somehow in the typeface (either that we make it out of the materials or use it as markmaking, printing with the cardboard or drawing with it maybe) would tie the design together and would make it really personal to the show.
I found some nice inspiration for this, my favourite work being that of Kellenberger- White for the Glasgow Festival of Visual Art 2014.
The first thing I started to consider when thinking about ideas for the show was how the space looks. As we already know where the exhibition will take place and the conditions we will have to work with, honestly all I could see were problems. How are we going to cover up that door, how are people going to understand how to navigate in a place where I myself have lost my way several times, can we use the ugly lockers in the narrow corridor to our advantage somehow or will they just have to stay an ugly element in the show, how can we make the dark and stuffy 2nd floor feel lighter and bigger etc.. Our exhibition space kind of bummed me down a bit but realising that it is what it is and that there is one big advantage with it (no more carrying heavy furniture to another place) I began researching ways to make the space work.
What it needs is:
- bold designs
My first project of studio Give and Take will revolve around three words: may, child and old. These words need to be investigated thoroughly and communicated visually as 10 gifs and 3 posters. Apart from that, I am also starting a drawing journal in which I will draw something everyday to form a collection of observations and thoughts in a way.
Final cover proved not to be my final cover. Realising it looked too camera film-y I did some sketches of alternative ideas and ended up with using the sketch where I drew the pattern I had and made it into vector art that I then coloured in red and laid type over it.
Sketches for cover, by Lisa
This is the result and I finally like it 100 percent:
This project focuses on design history and movements. The deliverables will be a folded A2-A5 16 pager describing my exploration of chosen movement, and a motion graphic outcome. Starting off, I looked into 3 different movements I find interesting and chose De Stijl, Zero and The Washington Colour School.
De Stijl: Around 1917-1931 as a reaction to WWI, a group of Dutch artists set out to remake the world through a utopian vision and harmony and order. Exploring the ideal fusion of form and function, they wanted to eliminate all representational components, reducing painting to its elements: straight lines, plane surfaces, rectangles, and the primary colours red, yellow, blue, black and white.
This project has been on hold for a while for several reasons but the main one being that I still wasn’t happy with my idea and that has made it really difficult to continue with it. Doing more research, I went back to some of my original inspirations: Jessica Walsh and her usage of bright colours and a lot of blue, pink and purple, architectural photography focusing on geometry and angles (but this time I looked more into colour and minimalist photography) and text.
Moodboard, by Lisa
Diving further into the art of the cover I made this moodboard with some designs I found inspirational. I chose these covers simply because I like them but it’s funny how much they say about me as well. This moodboard actually sums up my own aesthetics pretty well because of some of the things I like that keep re-accruing unintentionally like geometric shapes and colour or minimal designs with lots of white space. Some of the covers are almost architectural, some are only type and some are more rough (but not messy). Basically me, hah. I’ve also finally decided what size I want my book to be: 20x25cm portrait which means I can start designing it now 🙂
Moodboard, by Lisa
So I developed my bathtub idea further thinking about involving illustration and giving the campaign a very airy feel. Putting together this moodboard:
And picking up on some things in that I made a print of a bathtub that I thought I could use as seen below left.
Been reading up more on Calder, his career and how he came to create the art he created to get a better understanding of his working approach and philosophy as it will help me for my pastiche. Immersing myself in videos from different exhibitions about his work, videos that other people have made about him, exhibition reviews and articles about the artist from museums previously exhibiting his work I feel like I have more research to lean back on and backing up my decisions developing this project. There are so many things about this guy though that I really wanna capture in my video and at the moment it’s giving me serious creative block.. I’ll have to put this aside for a couple of days I think.
- Circulation of air
- Pull of gravity
- Play of chance
- Powered by the wind
So far, I’ve only thought about the contents of my book and how I will create the layout. The cover, to me, wasn’t something I gave any time considering. But after the markmaking workshop I had this week it’s definitely something I am going to think about more. The cover is in a way how the book introduces itself and similar to how you reflexively smile to a person you’ve just met while shaking their hand, I want my book to smile at you and for you to smile back. The cover also sets the tone for how the rest of the book will be and it has to be interesting and want to draw you in. For example, when I buy books the cover plays a huge part. If the cover is too ugly I’m probably not even going to pick the book up. Basically, the cover is important.
Some outcomes from the workshop