Match and Mismatch: Outcome 2

Match and Mismatch, Studio- Give and Take

Poster publication! I struggled with this one. Foldy things aren’t generally a favourite, and the need for it to be so smart I think puts so much pressure on the design that I found it difficult to make up my mind about how I wanted it to look. One thing that definitely needed to be included was the extension of the bench and playing with the folds to show that in a fun way. I wanted to make something that folded like, a crazy amount of times to exaggerate it but when I thought about how that would work when stacking the publications, it wouldn’t work. I didn’t want it to have too much volume, plus I found the restriction of the A3 size that the poster had to be + a lot of folds = not great as the publication would look smaller than I wanted it to. It needed to have some weight to it, the publication needed to feel robust, like the bench. Making it small and/or like it was apologizing for itself would feel wrong and not representative of the bench.

Advertisements

Movements: Outcome 3

Dialogue Studio, Movements

I thought the printing process would be pretty straightforward, I had my paper and my pdf and my print credits. But printing proved to be difficult. First try came on landscape on a portrait oriented sheet of paper, second one came out with the poster on the back the wrong way round, which I didn’t notice until I started to fold my A2 down to A5 and fold up the flap on the first page that reveals the introduction text to the zero movement underneath (a feature I added to make the design more dynamic and again make it more dramatic with a “reveal” kind of) and the text wasn’t there. Sigh. A shame because the registration for the front and back images was almost perfect. Third try came out the way it should (after I rotated the back poster in ID cause I thought that might fix the previous problem, but now I’m not sure that was the actual problem. Maybe that could have been solved by rotating it in the print preview or rotating the paper. hmm…) but the problem now was that the registration between front and back was off by one cm. So a lot. Way annoying.

Pager from both sides, by Lisa

So the cover is now sporting a vertical white line that is not supposed to be there and the letterpress image sits a bit too tight to the folded up flap on page one. But I am going to leave it like this because everything else is how I wanted it to be and I cannot afford to print it again. I don’t love it, but I like it! But I almost think it looks better as a flat poster than folded up because it just makes so much sense now. And the Zero movement kind of didn’t and the design seen laying flat as an A2 is almost more representative of that. The kinetic type poster though I think looks great.

pager2

Front and back cover, by Lisa