Portfolio Project: Outcome 4

Design competition, Portfolio Project

So my posters needed to go in something but I think buying a ready made box is not very me so I decided to make one myself. Bought red card and made a design loosely based on an archive box I already have and it turned out pretty well! A lot of measuring involved here and I’ll admit it sliiiightlyyy uneven in the spine but overall looks very neat. After testing it out, opening and closing it a few times I thought it might be too flimsy so I covered a piece of thicker card that I got from the printers after printing my portfolio posters in the red leftover card bits I had (thank god I bought 2 sheets) and glued it to the front and back and now it feels more stable.

Advertisements

Work Placement: Outcome 4

Design competition, Work Placement

After my failed attempt at stapling the magazine, I stitched the upper bit together where I already had the holes, which didn’t look amazing but worked okay. After doing that I tried stapling the bottom bit, I thought even if it would fail, I needed the holes for stitching so nothing to loose here, and all of a sudden it worked! No idea why, maybe the magazine had become flatter in the few hours in between testing or something. Anyways, it held together so I took the thread out of the upper bit and stapled that too.

FMP: Outcome 4

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

With all 3 posters done and mounted on frames, the next thing to do was to photograph them. As I wanted to make postcards and smaller paper posters of the work as well, I really need good images of it to show scale, detail, craftsmanship etc. I found this task very daunting because of the scale of the posters and the fact that they need a lot of daylight to not look scruffy. 

Portfolio Project: Outcome 1

Design competition, Portfolio Project

My portfolio site is finally done. After fussing about with the background colour, changing it back and forth from red to white for a long while, I decided to go with red anyways as it makes the most impact. Some images definitely looks better with a white background but overall I think the red ties it together so that’s how I am leaving it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 2.57.06 PM

Portfolio homepage, Lisa 2018

FMP: Outcome 2

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

Knitting the 3rd poster was TEDIOUS. I wanted the pattern on this one to incorporate some sort of zig zag and waves to represent photons and how light travels. It was also going to be the more conservative of the three in terms of colour combination and the use of grey and white as new elements in the trio. Turns out, knitting a zig zag pattern takes a long long time. The design got altered along the way as well and I was planning on incorporating red but changed it to pink so it would fit better with the other two. 

FMP: Development 2

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

So a few problems emerged once I started really getting on with the knitting.

  1. In which way should I incorporate the colours, what would look best vs. what would be least time consuming?
  2. How do I mount it when it’s done?
  3. How do I incorporate the reflective thread I got that lights up when you shine on it? (which is a different thickness than the other yarn)

Match and Mismatch: Outcome 4

Match and Mismatch, Studio- Give and Take

Final outcome for Match and Mismatch are my gifs. I initially wanted to make something based on photographs of my hand manipulating the bench so it’s different lengths or using the postcards but I don’t think I could make that look refined enough and also because of time management I had to make priorities hah. So I tried manipulating my bench image in Photoshop instead to see where that got me. Making it digitally this way it would relate to the poster as well, with the solid black background so that’s a plus! 

Collection: Outcome 4

CIP, collection brief

My printed book has arrived and I really like it. It is bright and happy but still has a seriousness about it which is exactly what I was going for. It is so nice to see something physically that you have been working on for a really long time. I have learned a couple of things doing this project but the most important one is: it takes time to design a book. And there is so much planning going in to it. I have simultaneously enjoyed and dreaded the making of this book as it has been so extensive. There were so many images of outcomes I had to redo or clean up before it felt presentable for the book, so I hope I will learn for the future to keep better care of my work and take better images from the start haha.

The layout for my book is kind of Alan Fletcher inspired when he said that making a book is quite similar to making a storyboard for a movie, when it comes to the flow and pacing of everything from page to page. I have some consistent layout solutions throughout, like the introduction to each chapter looks the same and the explanation for each project always starts the same way with a small block of text in the bottom right corner and a image or images covering the left side.