Work Placement: Outcome 4

Design competition, Work Placement

After my failed attempt at stapling the magazine, I stitched the upper bit together where I already had the holes, which didn’t look amazing but worked okay. After doing that I tried stapling the bottom bit, I thought even if it would fail, I needed the holes for stitching so nothing to loose here, and all of a sudden it worked! No idea why, maybe the magazine had become flatter in the few hours in between testing or something. Anyways, it held together so I took the thread out of the upper bit and stapled that too.

Advertisements

Portfolio Project: Development 4

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Going back to my physical portfolio, I thought maybe the poster idea with a red poster combined with coloured smaller images on the back of it might not work. I wanted the printed portfolio to match the online one but it just felt too scattered. I wanted it to be more coherent, and a thing you could pick up and flip through. SO I thought I could make a book that was completely red but with coloured posters stuck inseide that you could take out.

Work Placement: Development 4

Design competition, Work Placement

Second interview is now on InDesign and almost done. I had been dreading this task for weeks but thought today that it would be best just to get on with it. Because Harriet had already transcribed the last interview we did, it was just a matter of placing it in InDesign and as Finn had already made paragraph styles for each type thing we might need, I don’t even know why I thought this would take long, it actually went super quick. 

FMP: Development 4

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

Having been undecided about how to mount my posters for a long time I decided to just go and buy myself some A1(ish) wooden frame bits to make my frames, so I would have the same kind you would use for mounting canvases. Having a hollow mounting solution also means that I don’t have to do anything with the long bits of yarn hanging down on the back so that’s a positive thing too. 

FMP: Outcome 1

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

First and second poster done! After spending 2+ weeks on the pink one, I finished the second one in just a week. This was because the knitting went faster with the bamboo needles as they are smoother than the metal ones so it’s easier to push the work on it (you don’t stop all the time). I also did it faster because I felt a bit stressed about the whole project actually as I still am unsure of how to mount it to make it look its best. Knitting faster however was not great on my wrists, fingers and shoulders and towards the end I had to wear knitting armor to be able to finish it (bandage on wrists, tape on fingers, heat patch on neck and pillow under my right elbow). Taking a break from knitting now which should be fine time wise.

Summer Show: Further Development 3

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Our first idea for the catalogue for the summer show was to make it into a zine thing from the poster so I made a more proper mockup of this using the actual poster. Did not like this thing at all to be honest as it looked too boring and I didn’t like folding the poster up because it felt like it ruined it a bit.

Summer Show: Further Development 2

Design competition, Summer show exhibition, Work Placement

For a while during this project it felt like we were not moving forward at all and no one really knew what to do. So to create something different and get some sort of development for this, I started playing around with our poster and see if we could use that in different ways when it came to making promo stuff for the show. 

Summer Show: Further Development 1

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Continuing working on things for the summer show, one thing that needed defining was signage, or something to hang up inside or outside the studio to give some sort of information/ context to what that studio is about and who’s in it. I thought it would make sense to incorporate the hell tape type to tie it together with the poster and tried it small at first and then big but didn’t think either of the options really worked. The small type wasn’t interesting enough and the big type took over too much. 

Portfolio Project: Development 3

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Besides the online portfolio, there also needs to be a physical one which I at first thought I could make by simply printing off images of my work and put in a box that I could make myself. After a tutorial though, I realised it would be more fun to do something different as a physical portfolio can basically be whatever you want it to be as long as it shows your work. 

Portfolio Project: Development 2

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Having good, high quality photographs of your projects I think is probably more important the the layout and design of your portfolio. Photographing your work lets you put it into context and show it off from its best side and I think looks way better than mocking something up digitally because that is so easy to do. Putting together my portfolio I realised that I didn’t have any nice images of my projects (because I don’t like the hassle of setting up the photostudio and taking time to photograph something well) so this became first priority.