Work Placement: Development 3

Design competition, Work Placement

Back to the cover! After some feedback from Tom telling us the cover doesn’t read well and that it feels too composed and digital, I got back to thinking about it and decided to start over with the whole composition. I scanned the ink letters I had and printed them out in different sizes, cut them out and started to compose some designs on a piece of paper in front of me, taking photos as I went along. I tried some organised layouts, some messy, and them started cutting up the letters or gluing them down to a piece of paper and them crumbling them up. I tried to make something happen. But it wasn’t happening. I wanted it to look like the messiness of a cover of Emigre magazine but everything I did just looked boring. I began to realise that the whole process was starting to feel like a huge weight in my brain, it wasn’t fun anymore, I don’t like the name anymore and I don’t like the typeface.

Advertisements

Movements: Development 3

Dialogue Studio, Movements

Screenprinting! Starting to create my design for this I took inspiration from these two sketches I quickly did a couple of days ago in a sudden rush of inspiration where I tried to make the Zero expression more contemporary in a way, or pop-y but still keeping the zero vibe.

Zero poster sketches, by Lisa

My first attempt seen below too the right worked okay, I imitated one of my letterpress results from a previous workshop, but it didn’t vibrate enough so second attempt seen to the left was an experiment in creating more fluid lines that more resemble some of the tests I created with my blue and black Klein experiments. Way better results! More alive and with more movement so that’s what I went for, for the final print in two colours.

Ideas for screenprint, by Lisa

Map of Me: Development 4

Dialogue Studio, Map of me

What my app idea is lacking and what I have been struggling to come up with is how the user will interact with it. I have gone through so many ideas (help!) yet none of them have really involved any interactive aspect and has mostly felt like a presentation of my findings and work. To tackle this problem I am now thinking about letting the user build their own picture of a place from the pictures I have taken in the form of collages. You will be able to save these collages to a gallery and make several different versions from the same picture.

Three examples of collages made from places I have visited and collected conversations, work by Lisa

Collection of lines completed

Project 2, Projects

My line project is finished and it took a 180 turn! I tried to develop a snake fold thing that would have my images of lines folding out in the order I would see them on my way to uni from home but the craftsmanship of it all wouldn’t come together. It looked sloppy, unfinished and very much not what I was going for. So I ended up with boxes which I kind of touched upon in my brainstorming for this project but discarded. Here is the process!

Secret 7

Personal projects, Projects

I entered a competition about a month ago for Secret 7 where you have to design sleeves for a song. Just found out I’m not in the final 700 (out of 7000, yikes!) so I thought I’d share what I did here as I like what I came up with. 

Head buzz

Core Workshops

At my first ever try at stop motion animation this week I’m transforming paper planes into flowers. I’ll post the result as soon as I’m done with it but for now I’m having too much trouble getting the animation to the right kind of feel. Whatever I do, it just looks too dainty and delicate. I need to rough it up but my head is full of airplanes making it hard to think.