Work Placement: Development 3

Design competition, Work Placement

Back to the cover! After some feedback from Tom telling us the cover doesn’t read well and that it feels too composed and digital, I got back to thinking about it and decided to start over with the whole composition. I scanned the ink letters I had and printed them out in different sizes, cut them out and started to compose some designs on a piece of paper in front of me, taking photos as I went along. I tried some organised layouts, some messy, and them started cutting up the letters or gluing them down to a piece of paper and them crumbling them up. I tried to make something happen. But it wasn’t happening. I wanted it to look like the messiness of a cover of Emigre magazine but everything I did just looked boring. I began to realise that the whole process was starting to feel like a huge weight in my brain, it wasn’t fun anymore, I don’t like the name anymore and I don’t like the typeface.

Advertisements

Work Placement: Development 2

Design competition, Work Placement

Okay so first hand rendered type thing didn’t work like I wanted it to. So I tried another variant. Using bigger tools. So I drew some more type with a biggie 50 pen and also with ink and a bigger brush. As I learned during one of the HotHouse workshops last summer show, ink looks great Riso printed so I thought I should try that out now as well. Again, using Avenir as a base, I made these letters:

Hand rendered type, Lisa 2018

Work Placement: Research 3

Design competition, Work Placement

As the magazine needs to be Riso printed, we had to do some tests on the Riso. I find things always look more different than you expect after printing it on Riso so we made some tests for the cover.

riso tests

Riso printed cover tests, Lisa and F.Kidd 2018

Work Placement: Research 2

Design competition, Work Placement

Straight after we collected our shared inspiration, I started looking at different ideas for the cover as I thought that would probably take the longest time to design as it kind of sets the tone for the whole magazine. I sketched out some ideas mainly thinking about the placement of the type and mixing capitals with small letters, at the time working with the words “vis comm magazine” as it didn’t have a name yet. Some days after that, we met up in the group and tried to decide on a name for the magazine as that would enable us to think of the cover more, and how we could work with the type. After two hours we came up with “7NT” as it is part of the postcode for the university and doesn’t have too much meaning incorporated in it already so we could make it into whatever we wanted.¬†

Summer Show: Outcome 1

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

The publication took a long time to figure out what to do with as none of the ideas felt right. Initially, Finn came up with an A5 format and we discussed different binding ideas such as using split pins and tape and printing ideas included screenprint and digital.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 12.04.39 PM

Publication idea, Finn Kidd 2017

Collection: Outcome 2

CIP, collection brief

Final cover proved not to be my final cover. Realising it looked too camera film-y I did some sketches of alternative ideas and ended up with using the sketch where I drew the pattern I had and made it into vector art that I then coloured in red and laid type over it.

cover sketch.jpg

Sketches for cover, by Lisa

This is the result and I finally like it 100 percent:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.01.49 PM.png

Collection: Outcome 1

CIP, collection brief

My cover is finally finalised although the way there was long. Jumping from the red outcome to yellow papercraft I did when experimenting with one of my projects, I still wasn’t happy with the look and started instead to play around with type on the photocopier. The type didn’t turn out interesting at all but the strange marks that appeared at the edge of the paper looked good so I created a design with them instead.

Cover development 1, 2, and 3, by Lisa

Copying and rotating the image I created a sort of pattern that looks like arrows and kind of like a fast forward button. And that felt like it fit the book finally and it also felt like me ¬†with the triangles, movement and a bit artsy so I’m happy with this.

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 1.21.31 PM

Collection final cover, by Lisa