Work Placement: Research 4

Design competition, Work Placement

Organising everyone’s work was going to be a huge task so we had to be smart in the way we did it. Considering images were going to be different formats, done in different techniques and had to all work together with the colours we have we also thought about different printing techniques, like imitating a cmyk print or restricting ourselves to only two colours to make it more coherent. On one hand, it would look great to do 4 colour prints for the whole magazine throughout but realistically that would be too much work considering it might constitute of 50 pages and each page would need four masters in different colours. 

Advertisements

Work Placement: Research 3

Design competition, Work Placement

As the magazine needs to be Riso printed, we had to do some tests on the Riso. I find things always look more different than you expect after printing it on Riso so we made some tests for the cover.

riso tests

Riso printed cover tests, Lisa and F.Kidd 2018

Summer Show: Outcome 1

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

The publication took a long time to figure out what to do with as none of the ideas felt right. Initially, Finn came up with an A5 format and we discussed different binding ideas such as using split pins and tape and printing ideas included screenprint and digital.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 12.04.39 PM

Publication idea, Finn Kidd 2017

Summer Show: Development 4

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

After Finn designed our posters, we went to screen print them to try out using split fountain technique. The first designs we did were ones where the type itself was coloured in, on either white paper or coloured paper. They looked really nice but the small information type wasn’t really visible especially when the yellow ink covered it. Posters seen here. So I decided to redo them, testing out filling the background with ink and leaving the type white and that came out better because you could read it better and see the imperfections of the tape helvetica better. Plus, you know colour. Yay! Seen below are three of the outcomes from my printing, two having some quirks and imperfections because of the printing process, and the last one being just perfect. Together they look really nice! 

Walk the Line: Development 3

Studio- Give and Take, Walk the line

More stitching! So came up with the idea of having something that goes back and forth for my second “old” gif, thinking about “old” as something that is continuously changing and how all new things eventually become old. I thought I could do something with lines spreading out so that it looks like a spotlight of sorts to symbolize how we choose to highlight some old things, while other old things appear to be not as important.

old sketch

Sketches, by Lisa

Collection: Development 5

CIP, collection brief

Nearly there! I now only have one spread left and then I’m sending this to print (might redo the cover though). When placing images for the Kickstarter case study and the crisp vibe they gave off (seen below) I realised I needed to re-arrange some things in my design for the rest of the book to fit this theme as I really liked it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 5.45.47 PM.png

There is so much colour in my work otherwise that I thought having red as chapter dividers and the book’s main colour might not be a good idea. So I changed it to black instead and at once it got more cohesive which is good. Plus the patterns and type I painted feels more like Japanese calligraphy and I really like that. Thing is, now my red cover doesn’t really match anymore so I might have to think some more about that. 

Collection Brief: Research 3

CIP, collection brief

Diving further into the art of the cover I made this moodboard with some designs I found inspirational. I chose these covers simply because I like them but it’s funny how much they say about me as well. This moodboard actually sums up my own aesthetics pretty well because of some of the things I like that keep re-accruing unintentionally like geometric shapes and colour or minimal designs with lots of white space. Some of the covers are almost architectural, some are only type and some are more rough (but not messy). Basically me, hah. I’ve also finally decided what size I want my book to be: 20x25cm portrait which means I can start designing it now 🙂

Cover inspiration for collection.jpg

Moodboard, by Lisa

Pastiche 1560: Research 2

CIP, pastiche 1560

The book Alexander Calder and His Magical Mobiles is a really pleasant read and full of quotes that I might use for my video. I haven’t given the text that much thought but I don’t want it to be too formal with only information so stealing some quotes from this book might be a good way to go. I’ve also looked into more of his style of painting and think I can use that as well for my project. Initially I wanted to write things out with wire to represent his wire sculptures but I think I’ve changed my mind- I want more colour.

Really like this print (to the right) and how much it feels like Calder. Using that somehow!

Map of Me: outcome 1

Dialogue Studio, Map of me

Sticking to my last idea about making collages from places in London, I’ve now developed the menu system for my app. I made it into a simple square using triangles to divide the different sections to mimic the ‘cut out feel’ of the collages. The font is called Expressway and one I chose because of its quite angular and sharp form yet still being inviting and friendly. Because of the colours I use, the design can easily look too childlike so a rounded font wouldn’t do- it was simply too friendly and I needed something to balance out these colours. Expressway does that successfully I think.