FMP: Outcome 2

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

Knitting the 3rd poster was TEDIOUS. I wanted the pattern on this one to incorporate some sort of zig zag and waves to represent photons and how light travels. It was also going to be the more conservative of the three in terms of colour combination and the use of grey and white as new elements in the trio. Turns out, knitting a zig zag pattern takes a long long time. The design got altered along the way as well and I was planning on incorporating red but changed it to pink so it would fit better with the other two. 

Advertisements

FMP: Development 4

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

Having been undecided about how to mount my posters for a long time I decided to just go and buy myself some A1(ish) wooden frame bits to make my frames, so I would have the same kind you would use for mounting canvases. Having a hollow mounting solution also means that I don’t have to do anything with the long bits of yarn hanging down on the back so that’s a positive thing too. 

FMP: Outcome 1

FMP, Studio- Give and Take

First and second poster done! After spending 2+ weeks on the pink one, I finished the second one in just a week. This was because the knitting went faster with the bamboo needles as they are smoother than the metal ones so it’s easier to push the work on it (you don’t stop all the time). I also did it faster because I felt a bit stressed about the whole project actually as I still am unsure of how to mount it to make it look its best. Knitting faster however was not great on my wrists, fingers and shoulders and towards the end I had to wear knitting armor to be able to finish it (bandage on wrists, tape on fingers, heat patch on neck and pillow under my right elbow). Taking a break from knitting now which should be fine time wise.

Summer Show: Further Development 3

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Our first idea for the catalogue for the summer show was to make it into a zine thing from the poster so I made a more proper mockup of this using the actual poster. Did not like this thing at all to be honest as it looked too boring and I didn’t like folding the poster up because it felt like it ruined it a bit.

Work Placement: Outcome 2

Design competition, Work Placement

Our first try at the Riso with the collage bit went okay but there wasn’t much control over the whole process as we simply plonked the images on there. So we decided to re- do the layout by cutting the images out and sticking them down on a paper that was the right size of the the magazine. Some images also needed a bit of cleaning up and bettering the contrast and blackness because they didn’t come out good enough on the Riso.

Layout process and outcome

We also did some experiments with layering of the cover, duplicating the coloured bit of 7NT which turned out really nice! Makes it more analogue and Riso-y.

PhysicalMockUps_0003_Layer 0

Layout outcomes

Also, cutting the paper to the right size before Riso printing is definitely the right way to do it I noticed. It’s extremely difficult to get it right after printing plus the ink smudges everywhere, whereas when you print it on ready cut paper it might be a bit off sometimes but it’s kind of nice and charming and part of the process.

Work Placement: Outcome 1

Design competition, Work Placement

Another thing to design is the interview pages for the magazine. I literally had no ideas for this and thought I would focus more on the text, deciding point size and look at leading and stuff. I also tried different column width to see how we could work the layout for this, being that the square size could be tricky to design to. 

Summer Show: Further Development 2

Design competition, Summer show exhibition, Work Placement

For a while during this project it felt like we were not moving forward at all and no one really knew what to do. So to create something different and get some sort of development for this, I started playing around with our poster and see if we could use that in different ways when it came to making promo stuff for the show. 

Summer Show: Further Development 1

Design competition, Summer show exhibition

Continuing working on things for the summer show, one thing that needed defining was signage, or something to hang up inside or outside the studio to give some sort of information/ context to what that studio is about and who’s in it. I thought it would make sense to incorporate the hell tape type to tie it together with the poster and tried it small at first and then big but didn’t think either of the options really worked. The small type wasn’t interesting enough and the big type took over too much. 

Portfolio Project: Research 4

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Because I am printing my physical portfolio at uni, I did some tests to see if the different printers around the building printed in different quality and tone. They did. And the differences were quite big.

Portfolio Project: Development 3

Design competition, Portfolio Project

Besides the online portfolio, there also needs to be a physical one which I at first thought I could make by simply printing off images of my work and put in a box that I could make myself. After a tutorial though, I realised it would be more fun to do something different as a physical portfolio can basically be whatever you want it to be as long as it shows your work.