For the workshop next week that’s going to be spent in the darkroom, I have been looking into photograms and what you can do with that technique. Man Ray is very much a favourite, his images are so varied too ranging from very abstract to very concrete with the images being very low contrast which makes them very poetic. My favourite one is definitely the hand because it looks so alien and nice!
This workshop was about collecting research and recording a place quickly through a number of different mediums such as drawing, writing, listening and photographing things and people. Fast paced and quite intense. With this collected research the objective was then to combine all the information and display it somehow visually. My group decided to go to Spitalfields market and on our way there kind of divided tasks between us (with some overlapping) which meant that when we got there we just kind of split up, wandered around and sometimes connected again to see what we had done.
More gifs! This one is based on an image made by me and Oliver taking turns to draw on a long sheet of paper, creating an abstract cityscape.
I don’t very much enjoy making posters. I think it’s because I feel like the one I do has to be AMAZING and represent the subject perfectly and in a fun and creative way and still be able to extract information from it. Way too much pressure in just one artwork ha.
Over two sessions I’ve been experimenting with making quick analogue posters by drawing with different tools and then overlaying that with cut out text and photocopying it to make it all come together as a flat piece. The drawing/markmaking I really enjoyed as it was all about creating marks quick and not having the time to worry about what line you were going to draw next. The motif I chose was a painting of Andy Warhol by Basquiat that I saw at the exhibition at the Barbican last week so lots of faces on my outcomes.
Gifs! Gifs are pretty fun because you can turn a quick drawing into something that looks like it was way more complicated to create. I have made gifs before but today I was introduced to another, more easy way of doing it on a workshop held by Russell Weekes.
Starting of creating simple movement with a round sticker confined to a drawn square and thinking about how the sticker needs to be placed for the movement to feel smooth from one frame to the next we later advanced to creating our own drawings or trying to make a gif stand still.
Last workshop was about type, more precisely looking at how letters are constructed and how we can manipulate them. Through drawing, painting, cutting and photocopying I spent a day immersed in creating different variations of t, y, ! and ?. Y quickly became my favorite to work with, whereas the exclamation mark didn’t inspire me at all. An intensely fun day that gave me lots of ideas on how you can work more with letters to create interesting and beautiful results. Below are some of my outcomes.
First- scanned letters (that I moved around whilst scanning) and then continued working on in Photoshop to create these images:
Type experiments by Lisa
Second- folded and cut out letters assembled in different ways, photographed and edited in Photoshop.
Type experiments by Lisa
A poem for the Riso
You look like something taken out of a sci-fi film from the eighties
bulky, beige, pink and mint.
Spitting out paper faster than I can blink pausing your rhythmic drumming
only when it is time to change the ink.
Colouring my fingers blue
Riso printer I want to love you
but right now
I’m finding it very hard to.
Sometimes we rely on randomness- being creative means that mistakes can be a good thing. And sometimes just playing with the components you have in front of you can be the best way to go because you don’t know what you’re after until you’ve done it.
A couple of days ago I explored some different ways of generating images from photographs, creating abstract and interesting results. Deriving meaning from photographs that didn’t mean just one thing, I made drawings and paintings from the emotions the image evoked or sorting it by the most to least dominant colour.
Yesterday we tried out some layout design by using a paper with a grid on it and moving around cut out pieces of text which I found quite fun as it allowed one to change the layout so fast and you understood rather quickly what worked and what didn’t. Below are some of my tests, the last image being the one I felt was most successful and ended up gluing down.