Our first idea for the catalogue for the summer show was to make it into a zine thing from the poster so I made a more proper mockup of this using the actual poster. Did not like this thing at all to be honest as it looked too boring and I didn’t like folding the poster up because it felt like it ruined it a bit.
For a while during this project it felt like we were not moving forward at all and no one really knew what to do. So to create something different and get some sort of development for this, I started playing around with our poster and see if we could use that in different ways when it came to making promo stuff for the show.
Continuing working on things for the summer show, one thing that needed defining was signage, or something to hang up inside or outside the studio to give some sort of information/ context to what that studio is about and who’s in it. I thought it would make sense to incorporate the hell tape type to tie it together with the poster and tried it small at first and then big but didn’t think either of the options really worked. The small type wasn’t interesting enough and the big type took over too much.
Final thing to mention that play an important part in setting up the summer show is fundraising and promoting the show. For this, we brainstormed a few ideas in the group, starting by creating our target audience and molding our suggestions around her (a creative woman in her 20’s that likes vintage shops). I find it really difficult to think of fundraising because it isn’t something I have ever had to do. We talked a lot about the connections we had and what we could get for free or at a discounted price but as I really don’t know anyone with any special skills relevant to this I couldn’t contribute much. Our final ideas landed on two main things though; a rooftop party event with a raffle selling posters and prints made by students, and a workshop in screenprinting which I think is a great idea because that is something we have available here and also something we can charge a bit more for as it’s not available in many places.
Our final idea for hanging work and systems for display that we settled on became based on the metal grids, white paint and tape. As the grids would replace our current pegboards, we could get rid of those but would still need to keep our wooden tables and bookshelves to display work/books that need to lie flat or stand. As the wood didn’t really fit our theme we decided we could paint the furniture white so that it goes better with the rest of our aesthetics. Because our idea focused around keeping the space as neutral as possible, painting everything white is good because it gets rid of the various existing colours all around the studios.
I decided to work more on our Helvetica type before pitching our idea as I had left it a bit incomplete (when I put all the letters into the template from the website I used, the M and W were cut off) so I re-scaled all the letters, making them smaller so that the two causing problems would fit. Not super fun but when I got into robot mode the work was done pretty fast. The first time I worked on the typeface I got impatient and didn’t really care about how the letters actually worked together, but now after re-doing it I decided to look at the way the type worked when you used it. Turns out, the letter “I” was way too big in relation to the other letters (which wasn’t really noticeable before) and none of the letters were actually sitting on the same line. After fixing that, and looking at the tracking more, I was happy with what I had.
The publication took a long time to figure out what to do with as none of the ideas felt right. Initially, Finn came up with an A5 format and we discussed different binding ideas such as using split pins and tape and printing ideas included screenprint and digital.
Publication idea, Finn Kidd 2017
After looking into what more things/ graphics you could do with tape because I thought I hadn’t explored it enough I found these images of how some exhibitions have used it:
Tape inspiration, Lisa 2017
I thought that we could do something similar when hanging work. In this sketch I did we were still into the idea of using coloured tape as wayfinding so I thought we could use that for the hanging as well but for the final idea I swapped the coloured tape for white tape so as to fit our theme better.
After Finn designed our posters, we went to screen print them to try out using split fountain technique. The first designs we did were ones where the type itself was coloured in, on either white paper or coloured paper. They looked really nice but the small information type wasn’t really visible especially when the yellow ink covered it. Posters seen here. So I decided to redo them, testing out filling the background with ink and leaving the type white and that came out better because you could read it better and see the imperfections of the tape helvetica better. Plus, you know colour. Yay! Seen below are three of the outcomes from my printing, two having some quirks and imperfections because of the printing process, and the last one being just perfect. Together they look really nice!
Because we had the idea of using tape as wayfinding in our group pretty early on, I tried to make a typeface out of tape to match our theme. Plus I thought it would be nice to make our own type for the show to make it more personal. First try seen below wasn’t that great. I like how the lines of the H turned out but that’s about it.