So my posters needed to go in something but I think buying a ready made box is not very me so I decided to make one myself. Bought red card and made a design loosely based on an archive box I already have and it turned out pretty well! A lot of measuring involved here and I’ll admit it sliiiightlyyy uneven in the spine but overall looks very neat. After testing it out, opening and closing it a few times I thought it might be too flimsy so I covered a piece of thicker card that I got from the printers after printing my portfolio posters in the red leftover card bits I had (thank god I bought 2 sheets) and glued it to the front and back and now it feels more stable.
After my failed attempt at stapling the magazine, I stitched the upper bit together where I already had the holes, which didn’t look amazing but worked okay. After doing that I tried stapling the bottom bit, I thought even if it would fail, I needed the holes for stitching so nothing to loose here, and all of a sudden it worked! No idea why, maybe the magazine had become flatter in the few hours in between testing or something. Anyways, it held together so I took the thread out of the upper bit and stapled that too.
For hand in, we decided not to Riso the whole magazine as it wouldn’t be cost effective when only doing three, so basically everything that is meant to be black (except for the collage bit) we printed digitally and the colour bits were Riso’d. A few problems emerged along the way though. Firstly, setting up the InDesign document was kind of a pain because of the way we have designed it. Because we have split it up into sections, every section had to be ale to be divided into 4 so it works printing it in separate booklets that we then put together.
So went and bought really nice 200 gsm matte paper with the intention of printing the portfolio at uni to save money. However, the printers here decided to not be friendly. Tried three different ones and using different techniques for feeding the paper but none of them worked. If I printed it double sided from the start, it would rip the black ink off the paper and create a kind of starry night effect. If I printed it on one side first it would come out fine but after feeding the paper through one more time, it would rip the ink off again. One try also came out with a ghost image printed on top of it. Super weird.
Going back to my physical portfolio, I thought maybe the poster idea with a red poster combined with coloured smaller images on the back of it might not work. I wanted the printed portfolio to match the online one but it just felt too scattered. I wanted it to be more coherent, and a thing you could pick up and flip through. SO I thought I could make a book that was completely red but with coloured posters stuck inseide that you could take out.
Second interview is now on InDesign and almost done. I had been dreading this task for weeks but thought today that it would be best just to get on with it. Because Harriet had already transcribed the last interview we did, it was just a matter of placing it in InDesign and as Finn had already made paragraph styles for each type thing we might need, I don’t even know why I thought this would take long, it actually went super quick.
Just recently, I applied for an internship for Foreign Policy Design Group but realised I didn’t have an PDF portfolio to send them so it was really time to make one. I decided on keeping it pretty simple in terms of layout, creating a template using big images combined with small type on each page with a little description of the project. Deciding which projects to include was probably the hardest part because I wanted to show variety between projects but also choose ones that would reflect my style the best.
My portfolio site is finally done. After fussing about with the background colour, changing it back and forth from red to white for a long while, I decided to go with red anyways as it makes the most impact. Some images definitely looks better with a white background but overall I think the red ties it together so that’s how I am leaving it.
Portfolio homepage, Lisa 2018
Our first idea for the catalogue for the summer show was to make it into a zine thing from the poster so I made a more proper mockup of this using the actual poster. Did not like this thing at all to be honest as it looked too boring and I didn’t like folding the poster up because it felt like it ruined it a bit.
Our first try at the Riso with the collage bit went okay but there wasn’t much control over the whole process as we simply plonked the images on there. So we decided to re- do the layout by cutting the images out and sticking them down on a paper that was the right size of the the magazine. Some images also needed a bit of cleaning up and bettering the contrast and blackness because they didn’t come out good enough on the Riso.
Layout process and outcome
We also did some experiments with layering of the cover, duplicating the coloured bit of 7NT which turned out really nice! Makes it more analogue and Riso-y.
Also, cutting the paper to the right size before Riso printing is definitely the right way to do it I noticed. It’s extremely difficult to get it right after printing plus the ink smudges everywhere, whereas when you print it on ready cut paper it might be a bit off sometimes but it’s kind of nice and charming and part of the process.