The publication took a long time to figure out what to do with as none of the ideas felt right. Initially, Finn came up with an A5 format and we discussed different binding ideas such as using split pins and tape and printing ideas included screenprint and digital.
Publication idea, Finn Kidd 2017
The first idea we presented I think looks really good, however we hadn’t really thought about the process of making it completely I think, doing some digital print tests, the layering of the letters didn’t really work out and the brightness we wanted mostly looked dull. Plus as our ideas evolved, the publication design had to change too to still fit our theme. Thinking about the colour and gradient aspect of our idea, I did some tests with coloured paper, layering two colours of almost the same tone in different sizes, thinking the format could change throughout the publication to make it more playful.
Publication test, Lisa 2017
Another try using screenprint and the poster as a basis, Lisa 2017
Well, these tests turned out pretty uninteresting so I didn’t take it any further, it was just like the publication was standing still. And it was for a long time, and it wasn’t until after I had done the second round of screenprints for the poster that I thought of making the publication into a poster zine.
I think this idea fit out theme way better and it didn’t require any annoying binding as we simply fold it. Both back and front can be screenprinted so no extra printing costs there, and it’s a nice format that you can easily put in your bag, save and use as a poster if you like. So the idea was that the poster would be the same for all publications, but the content and cover would change depending on which studio it was for.
Publication idea, Lisa 2017
Publication idea and drawings, Lisa 2017
The cover is the same as our signs we have for wayfinding that Finn designed based on the poster we have which is nice because it ties it all together.